Scotland’s Chemical Sciences industry is relatively unique in that it is not focused on specific segments with multiple companies who are all competing against each other.
Instead it covers a range of petrochemicals as well as fine chemicals and specialty chemicals – this means companies can collaborate relatively easily. A wide range of overseas companies also operate within Scotland and it has a great number of innovative SMEs.
Chemical science companies looking to invest will find Scotland offers a very attractive proposition and operating environment. Scotland has:
- a strong academic base in both chemical and engineering sciences, that works collaboratively with industry
- a pre-existing talent pool, with a strong future (supported by a national Skills Investment Plan)
- an established chemical manufacturing base, from commodity, through speciality, to fine and pharma/agchem products
- a supportive government, committed to innovation and readily accessible to companies
- a strong focus on industrial biotechnology, with government and industry investment in innovation and technology centres
- financing opportunities, for start-ups and SMEs.
For further information about the opportunity that Scotland’s Chemical Sciences sector offers, please visit the SDI website.
Future of the Chemical Sciences